Adina Neculae’s success story: how to earn money with your designs
In this post we want to introduce you to Adina Neculae, one of our most successful exclusive designer in Freepik (she makes more than 100 illustrations per month). Adina is an expert in watercolor illustrations and she became an exclusive designer two years ago.
Don’t miss the success story behind Adina’s designs and get inspired to start to earn money with your designs.
1. Hello Adina. Please tell our followers a bit about yourself and your portfolio. How many designs have you designed throughout your life? When did you start to design? What style do you feel more comfortable designing?
My name is Adina Neculae, I’m a self taught illustrator and I’ve been working in this sector for 6 years. My story begins when I was a kid and I fell in love with drawing. I never took seriously my drawing skills, thinking this is just a hobby like many others, but, I never imagined, this will turn out to be a lot more than a hobby, a viable career choice.
So, my career started with all my doodles on paper which got me my first job as an illustrator at a local creative studio in Bucharest. I really loved it. It was so creative and I`ve learned so much about illustrations. Starting to create new illustrations (digital ones!) I was able to make a digital portfolio.
I`ve created thousands of illustrations in many styles over the past years, learning new techniques, until I came across a painting (watercolor style). That became a new challenge for me, cause I’ve never painted before. Now, I can say, I can’t stop painting. 🙂
2. According to you, what would be the main advantages you would highlight of working as an exclusive designer for Freepik?
Well, for me Freepik came out like a glove. Working from my home, having my own schedule, having challenges each day, drawing and getting paid for my designs is more than perfect. There is no schedule, no routine, a lot of variation and new projects. The payment comes at a right time with no delays. And on top of that, I’ve learned new stuff about illustrations directly from my friend and supervisor who helped me to progress faster and better.
My advice is to be prepared for the challenge, to have a lot of patience to learn and to be full of passion in order to be more fun.
3. The number of monthly designs are three times bigger than the minimum required by Freepik and yet you have always maintained the quality of your designs and achieved very high downloads. What is the secret to your success? Do you think it is the personal touch you put into your designs? How do you manage to divide your time to design so many illustrations?
I think the experience and the time dedicated to learn more about illustrations and personal touch can be reflected into the quality and the quantity of the designs and from this, resulting the big volume of illustrations and downloads.
My secret to success, is working hard to achieve the best result in everything I create. It’s a combination between time, effort and passion, for what I do.
When I see my designs are getting better and better, and liked and downloaded by people all over the world, I want to create more and more pretty stuff. I think every designer enjoys to see his work appreciated and downloaded.
How do I manage to divide my time to design so many illustrations? – Well, I don’t have an exact recipe for this… I take a lot of breaks for random stuff like reading a book, playing with my cats, cooking or playing video games. But, in a way, this helps me to do a good job.
I’ve learned new stuff about illustrations directly from my friend and supervisor who helped me to progress faster and better.
4. Freepik pays a bonus of $2.5 per 1.000 downloads per illustration during the first 30 days since the image is active at Freepik. What are the maximum earnings you have achieved in an illustration at Freepik? In General, are you satisfied with the earnings you receive at Freepik for all your files?
The bonuses are a pretty nice thing at Freepik. I think, maximum bonus is around $380 applied for a full month with more than 100 illustrations. Regarding the high number of illustrations, I can’t say exactly which is the bonus for one illustration. For example, last month for my best illustration which has the highest number of downloads, I receive a bonus of $32.
Overall, I’m happy with my earnings received at Freepik, for all my files!
5. Would you advise other designers to join Freepik as an exclusive designer?
Yes, I would advise designers to join Freepik, because it’s a good place to work. But also, my advice is to be prepared for the challenge, to have a lot of patience to learn and to be full of passion in order to be more fun. The result will be awesome!
The bonuses are a pretty nice thing at Freepik. I think, maximum bonus is around $380 applied for a full month with more than 100 illustrations.
6. What is the communication process used between you and your assigned art director? Do you get along with your assigned art director? Do you believe a good communication between a designer and an art director is important to achieve great results in your designs?
Well, after I finish a design, if needed, my art director gives me some tips to improve it.
Yes! I think it`s very important to communicate with the assigned art director, in order to establish what the designer can do, what is his/hers style, what he/her enjoys creating etc. The art director, partially, is responsible with the evolution of the designer, at Freepik.
I believe that a good communication between the art director and the designer is vital, because, for good results, you need harmony and understanding from both sides.
My art director is a very nice person, which I can chat with, about graphics or random subjects but also an awesome illustrator and animal lover, hehehe. That’s why, I think, we get along so well!
Working from my home, having my own schedule, having challenges each day, drawing and getting paid for my designs is more than perfect.
The process to work as an exclusive designer for Freepik
If you want to be an exclusive designer you will have the following advantages:
- Earn fixed price + bonus ($2.5 for every 1k downloads the first 30 days)
- Extraordinary Timetable (Full time or part time! Work as you wish!)
- You only have to send us a minimum of 40 vector illustrations per month